Building an HTML/CSS Workshop

hey guys,

you could probably recruit more people after cssconfeu-- i think theyre probably really busy organising for that as it is coming up soon but afterwards maybe some of those organising/speaking might be interested to help. i mean, unless you guys are in a rush but seems like it could be better to hold off a bit and get more people on board and organize the learning stuff and have more coaches ready to help before deciding a date?

just a thought:)

cheers,rachel

1 Like

Hey Rachel,

Good idea about CSS Conf. Do you know the people organizing / speaking there? It would be great if people from it are interested in helping coach / write the learning stuff.

I had the idea that it would a small workshop, like a master class in one topic in depth, but Iā€™d be happy if it were a big thing.

How does OTS usually organize teaching materials?

Thanks!
Bettina

As a matter of fact, Kristina, the organiser of CSS Conf EU is the designer, who build our whole OTS branding and redesigned the whole website we launched last winter. So, yes, we can approach them but we should know what we want :wink: .

For once I could ask if theyā€™d be willing to post a link to the discussion about the ā€œadvanced beginnersā€ learning material via their twitter to try and find more coaches to contribute to material.

Usually we try to get a bunch of coaches on the topic into the same room and think about what they want to build and what the format should look like, decide on date and who does what in real person. Just the best way to make sure people actually do stuff in our experience.

So Iā€™ve approached this workshop backwards.

I thought we could do all this via mailing lists and discourse, but ok.

Should we meet to talk first and push back the workshop date?

Right now itā€™s just 3 people who have committed on Sunday + maybe Gio (since sheā€™s writing the manual already) + maybe other coaches from CSS Conf.

Hey Bettina,

iā€™d suggest, first thing to do would be to attend an opentechschool organizer breakfast. i think the next one is next thurs. from 8am-10am.

thats generally what we do-- bring ideas to the meeting and the team can help figure out what follow-up steps to take to get something organized. its all generally a team effort, no one really organises things alone here- which is a good thing!

hope that helps:)

oh sorry-- i think begin time is actually 8:30am:)

Thanks for letting me know about the breakfast, Rachel!

I didnā€™t know about an organizersā€™ breakfast. Where is it? Do we bring stuff to share or how does it work?

Breakfast is at co-up 5th floor and everybody bring food/drinks for their self, you can find everything on meetup page.

Sorry i missed all this conversation. I forgot to check here, thinking i get notification if someone write here.
Anyway i totally think we should postponed the workshop, stop a moment and think better about which kind of workshop we want to do and how.
Bigger one seems the idea right now, and we like it :slight_smile: I mean, we have enough material to work ing on.
I didnā€™t sign to help for this workshop since iā€™m already quite busy with the other one and plus work and stuff like that.
But as you said @bettina iā€™m already write this one so i can totally set up the new one (create the empty curriculm and maybe set the structure maybe with already some titles) so in this way everybody that are interest can pick up a topic and write about it.

But for do that we need before to do at least some brainstorming (not need to meet in person) about what we want to cover, which goal we want learners achieve, for how long and stuff like that.

Letā€™s write a small structure schema in google doc as we did it for Html/css!

Hi Anaketa,

Thanks for the reference to the meetup page. Itā€™s here: http://www.meetup.com/opentechschool-berlin/events/138548722/
in case anyone else needs a link.

I agree with postponing the workshop, since I only have to reschedule with two coaches + co.up. And Ben has said that he only wants quality workshopsā€“what are the criteria for this?

As for me, I basically wrote up what Iā€™d like to learn above, which Iā€™m copying here:

• how to use the box model for mobile-first / responsive design
  • how to
    use transitions with position changes how to calculate elastic sizes
  • how to know when to use Twitter Bootstrap / HTML5 Boilerplate / other
    frameworks
  • semantic HTML

My personal learning goals:

• Make my personal side project pretty & engaging & curiosity-inspiring
    with transitions and position changesā€“like youā€™re opening presents
    when you click on speech bubbles.
  • Migrate my Wordpress blog into a
    responsive box model. Actually, itā€™s already responsive but not with
    the right order of boxes.

How did you write the structure in Google Doc for HTML/CSS?

Should we meet at the organizersā€™ breakfast next week?

Thanks!
Bettina

@Ola you seems to know a lots about that :wink:
Any idee how we could structure this workshop?
Where to start? What achieve?

I thought that maybe is better have lots small task with their personal goal, so people can decide which topic cover, discover more about, try it out and than move to another one.
It will be also easier to write the material for us, btw.

What do you think?

Btw looking to the topic already suggested, in the Html/css workshop we covering semantic Html and elastic size.
The questions about frameworks is seems more a Learner Meetup kind of questions :slight_smile: (i mean that is not really a workshop material, but we can still try to use one of these framework) and iā€™m not sure that i get the one about mobile and box model.

Me again :slight_smile:
The main part of the Html/css workshop is here:

Every feedback, comment and review are super than welcome.
In particular some english native speaker (Pleaseee! :slight_smile: )
@Ben how should i proceed for the form element part?

Now, i would say, i need help to finish it. So why donā€™t start to looking for a coaches and with them set a date?

About Css Advanced workshop:
Working on this one i still feel that we can mix them. Most of the argument that @bettina show us are either in the workshop per se or in cover as Extras.
Since the extras is a less developed idea of what i had in my mind for a Css Advanced workshop, i think we arrange to make them together.

What do you think to do a html/css workshop divided in two big group?
Beginners and advanced?

Or maybe we can just be ready for everybody will finish before and give them these extras task to working on?
(My first idea for extras task was just to write some info and where to know more about it but now we can create a real small task with their own goal.)

Let me know your idee!

So Giorgia and I met today, and hereā€™s what we decided:

We should have two workshops, spaced about 3 weeks apart, one intro and one more advanced (basically, the first half of the training materials and then the second half). This way, learners from the first workshop could attend the second one.

Bettina will proofread the first four sections of the training material on GitHub by next Friday.

@anaketa will structure the rest of the training materials by next Friday so that itā€™s easy for coaches to take a section and write it up.

Bettina feels like the ā€˜extrasā€™ / advanced beginner CSS section has to be expanded with exercises and not just have some reading materials, because sheā€™s read those things but doesnā€™t feel like she could implement them.

We will make sure the workshops are well-organized and have learners with the appropriate background, because when @ben blogs / spreads the word about the workshops, we will write up some expectations of what the learners can already do.

Bettina will be recruiting coaches and training material writers at CSSConf, referring them to this discourse page, the training materials on GitHub as well as an OTS organizersā€™ meetup, for example: http://www.meetup.com/opentechschool-berlin/events/135339392/

FYI: I got some answers to my own questions above.

Here are the answers in case you were wondering too:

Discourse is replacing mailing lists, so this thread IS the best way to get in touch with CSS coaches.

The email for Coaches.js will live on, however, and is the best way to email CSS gurus affiliated with OTS.

Ok, thatā€™s it for now.

Hey!
Sorry, i was pretty busy with our chapter.

Iā€™ll be in Berlin next week, so maybe we could meet up? It could be more simple than writing. :wink:

Best,
Ola

Ok here is setted up also the Advanced css github repo with already some sketchs about the topic we would prepare.

Fell free to start to edit or comment.
@Bettina you can already give this 2 repo as a refereed link to coaches, so they can have an idea what would be the workshop.

I personally think is time to find coaches :slight_smile:
So i wrote in the js coaches mailing list, can you @Ben or someone else write a blog post about?
And @Bea can you or who else have the access, write on fb/twt?
We can give to coaches this discourse as a referring point where write us/find us.
The css Conf is Friday 14th so we could give to the coaches a date between 18 and 27 Sept. as possible evening for the first meeting.
We should also go on tuesday at up.front, announce the workshop and find coaches.

@Ola will be super nice to meet you in person. When exactly you will be here in Berlin?

@Ola, Great that youā€™ll be in Berlin next week!

Any chance that youā€™d want to come by the OTS organizersā€™ breakfast Thursday morning from 8:30am to 10am?

@anaketa Thanks for finishing up the repo; I wonā€™t have time to proofread the English until Tuesday at the earliest.

Should we decide on a date already for the CSS coachesā€™ meeting? It would be nice to be able to hand out something printed out to recruit coachesā€“has there ever been a flyer designed for OTS or anything? Or any other kind of physical materials?

I already have plans Tuesday night, so I canā€™t attend the up.front meetup. Anyone else is going?

@ola and @anaketa ā€“ Since anaketa canā€™t attend the morning breakfast, maybe we could set up an alternate meeting then?

@bettina & @anaketa: I have some spare time on friday. Maybe at 11:00, 12:00?

that can be.
Iā€™m not sure yet about my week planning, i will tell you as soon as i know

@ola and @anaketa ā€“ Iā€™ll be at CSSConf all day Friday, so Friday doesnā€™t work for me. But itā€™s ok for me to not meet if you two decide on Friday.

@bettina sad to hear!!! friday is the only day i could meet up.
@anaketa iā€™ll leave at 4pm. just drop me a line!