From Zero to Junior iOS Developer

Well this is fun. Just as I’m writing this Apple announces a new language for writing iOS apps: Swift. I’d suggest you learn that! But, if you are still dead set on learning iOS with Objective C, then here’s your guide.

Work your way through the Objective C book by the Big Nerd Ranch

Work your way through the iOS book also by the Big Nerd Ranch

There’s a wealth of resources on learning objective C and iOS, but I have yet to find anything as accessible and comprehensive as these two books. They teach you to do things the right way, without taking shortcuts. Also, they are very good in explaining the harder bits and require no previous programming experience. That said, Objective C may not be the ideal language to start with.

Go to meetups

iOS is pretty popular at the moment, so most larger cities have at least one meetup around iOS. This would be a great place to get your questions answered, or even find a mentor. Of course, you could always try to find a mentor at Open Tech School and get him or her to host a continuous learners group!

Start your own project

Once you’ve gotten through these books (or maybe even while you are going through them), think of a real project you’d like to work on. We highly recommend finding something you really want because there will be some frustration here and there, which is much easier to overcome if you have a higher goal behind what you are doing.

Time for your first Gig

Because after you’ve done a first, second and maybe a third project and you like it, you should consider working on larger projects with other, more experienced people. Not only will you get introduced to other technologies and tools, you’ll also learn aspect like communicating, coordinating and how to keep your code clean. This can be an internship, a hackership, or already a full-time junior position but make sure that, who ever employs you knows you are still learning and encourages you to continue doing so. And insist on getting to know the team before signing anything and have a sparring partner that is continuously reviewing your code and giving you feedback.

2 Likes