There will be any workshop/training about the Ruby?

hello everyone, nice start yesterday!

following things popped up when I recapped our meeting today…

1. …to structure the meeting into a talk, discussion and coding part and having someone to watch the clock. I really liked our discussion yesterday but I had the feeling that there was no energy left for the coding part…
  2. I liked that Dennis posted his links later on the meetup page and I was thinking if we could have something like an embedded protocol for everyone to search or add information about topics we had in the meeting.
  3. Is it possible to make subject and person that is giving a talk more visible on our meetup page? it is certainly more attractive to give a talk when get a little “fame” and the others get an idea of what is going to happen the next time.
  4. name badges?

@kiyu_mars can post the link to your slides

ps: i forgot to sign up for the meeting on 12.1 and meetup.com is just offering me a seat on the waiting list, how can this be???

1. I think the talks should be live demonstrations of coding instead of long discussions next times. Like I’ll probably show the uses of variables, functions and classes while typing into the terminal. Although one of the other learners wanted to send me his talk slides.
  2. Maybe we could open up a wiki for ruby co-op?
  3. We could put the speaker’s name and the topic of the talk in the description page of the meetup.
  4. All we need ad some sticky notes.

p.s. The organisers and coaches should just announce themselves on the discourse thread I opened up, not on the meetup page.

Just a quick (and maybe stupid question) but I’m new here and in Berlin as well. I would like to come to the Ruby meetup but as I see I’m on the waiting list. It means that I can come or I need to wait for some kind of approval? :smile: It’s important in my case as I need to take half day off to make it possible :wink:

People on the waiting list can not attend, but if a sufficient amount of attendees cancel before the meetup, you will bee put on the attendees list.

Hello again,

here comes my feedback and some thoughts I would like to discuss with you:

1. Recap of the first meetup
Even though I found the discussion very interesting, I assume it was too long for some people. To discuss topics in a large group takes away everyone’s choice to join the discussion or to start coding right away. Suggestion: Maybe for the next time offering a break after the final talk and announcing that anyone who wants to join the discussion can come together (in another room) and those people who want to start coding can stay in the room?

2. Documentation of our meetups
@netznarkose @kiyu_mars Yes, a wiki would be great for protocols and links recommendations which are mentioned at our meetups. Also for those who could not attend. We should rotate when being responsible for the last meetup’s documentation.

3. Location for talk announcements
I agree to @kiyu_mars suggestion to put it on the meetup page because it would be the easiest way.

4. @netznarkose on the waitinglist
I guess I know why you are on the waiting list: Because you are somehow not assigned as an event coordinator anymore. See: http://screencast.com/t/hQBn4ibknT

5. Coaches coordination
I have the feeling that @kiyu_mars’ announcement of coaches to register here or on the meetup page (to assure a spot) was not clear enough to anyone or/and they don’t want to register for discourse. Suggestion: We could set up a separate google spreadsheet list to have a better overview. I can do the initial doc setup, if you want. Just let me know what you think about it?

6. Pre-RSVP for the next meetups
Right now we have a lot of people who have pre-RSVP for several meetups in the future. I think it will be a better option to open the RSVP for each meetup 1 week before. So we can make sure to offer a fair chance to everyone to jump in, especially for those who have discovered our meetup recently. What do you think?

7. Adjusting the waiting list
@mamhoff Right now only you have the rights to adjust the people’s status (in, waitinglist), is that right? Is it possible to assign these rights to one of us, too? Maybe to @kiyu_mars? It would help us a lot to coordinate the people on the RSVP-list after we have worked out the coaches issue.

Thank you for the thoughts. Let me answer each separately.

1. We will avoid long lectures and even longer discussions in the future, because everyone is too fatigue to actually code afterwards. Instead, it would be better to have short coding warmups where people have to write a small program and then push it to github. One of the teachers (Gustavo), volunteered to prepare such exercises, and I’ll devise one just in case.

2. I’m looking into setting up a wiki in pmwiki. Will get back to it soon.

3. I’ll go through the meetup postings and update the info.

4. Could you please set up the google spreadsheet? This seems like a simpler, more elegant solution.

5. Hmmm, interesting. I’ve always thought it more “First come, first serve”, but this doesn’t allow newcomers to sign up. So it might be smart to close the RSVPs until a week before.

6. I already have the right to change the waiting list. I’m not sure if I can assign it to others, but will look into it.

Wow, such involvement!

My two cents:

1. Why don’t you use discourse as a Wiki? That way, everyone can participate/edit and stuff. Plus: You don’t have to maintain another something.

2. I re-added @netznarkose just now.

3. All of you have the same rights as I do.

@kiyu_mars @mamhoff @netznarkose So, I have created this initial form for coaches to register for each event.
What do you think about it? Any additions, changes or thoughts? Happy to hear them. :smile:

@mamhoff Thank you, I finally found the option to edit the status of people individually.

That’s perfect, I’ll post the link on the meetup pages.

P.S. There’s now a discourse thread that acts as a learning resource wiki. I’ve also taken @netznarkose and @inthuytion off the attendees list, just to free it up.

proposal to reduce meetup.com-editing in the future

the four of us are always announced as event-hosts on the current meetup-events-pages, no matter if we attend or not and we increase the number of attendees to 24

ps: right now there are 7 people on the waiting list for the 19.01 meeting and @kiyu_mars is stealing one seat…

1 Like

Hello @kiyu_mars @netznarkose @mamhoff,

I would like to structure and re-order the description of our meetups because now it could be a bit overwhelming for those who don’t/seldom read the whole manual. :wink: Let me know what you think about it.

@netznarkose Even though we talked about it last time, I now (with the new separate coaches list) think that we shouldn’t increase it to keep a good learning environment.

À bientôt,
Thuy

ABOUT:
The meet-up is all about Ruby and Rails (but also about all the other things you can do with Ruby).

We are a friendly group that meets every monday at seven o’clock to learn together and work on our projects. All you need is to bring your laptop - additional power strips and some snacks are also welcome.

No matter if you are an absolute beginner or an expert, we want to learn from each other. Bring along your personal project or a specific challenge. There’s always someone around to help you or someone who’ll be happy about you helping them.

Sometimes, we have some short talks on a particular feature of the Ruby language geared towards beginners. We speak German and English, and of course code. Just come by and check it out!

IMPORTANT NOTES & LINKS:

• Due to limited seats of 20 (16 attendees & 4 organizers), we have created a separate list for coaches. If you are a coach, organizer or want to help the learners, please register per each event for the separate coaches list or post your name and specialty in this forum thread.
  • If you don’t have a project to work on, it is often a good idea to do a tutorial or some exercises. See our discourse thread that includes our favorites (and add your own).

[END]

1 Like

That’s very good, I approve.

Oui trés bien, the text is much clearer this way thanks @inthuytion

i am going to invest 20€ in the ruby group and buy some power strips and a mac beamer adapter so you can omit the power strips…

yes, i totally agree, i rather wanted to discuss the handling of our names in this list.

max

Thanks for your quick feedback, @kiyu_mars & @netznarkose. So I have just updated (description & 7-day-before-RSVP) all meetups until the end of may 2015. Why isn’t there a global change possible? What a hassle to edit each event manually. :-§

What do you mean with the handling of our names, @netznarkose? Maybe you can explain tomorrow?

See you tomorrow.

Thanks,
Thuy

hi just that everybody knows,

I have the fairmondo key, i will be there at 18.15 to prepare the meeting, and lock the doors afterwards.

max

Hi @kiyu_mars, @netznarkose & @mamhoff,

so, I finally found out in the help section that there is a possibilty to edit the meetups globally for some meetup series, but I seem not to be able to find it or don’t have access to it. Can anyone of you?

http://help.meetup.com/customer/portal/articles/868825

Thx,
Thuy

If you want to make changes to an entire series of automatically scheduled Meetups:

First, you’ll want to decide on the date that you’d like this change to take place. Scroll over to the Meetups section on your Meetup Group home page, and choose Calendar or Upcoming. Then, click on the first Meetup in the series that needs to be changed.

On the page with that Meetup’s details, click on Edit. Select Edit this Meetup and all the following Meetups, and click Edit.

On the Edit this Meetup series page, make any changes you’d like, then click Change details at the bottom to save your work.

Any changes you made will affect that Meetup as well as all of the following Meetups in the series.

so, I finally found out in the help section that there is a possibly to edit the meetups globally for some meetup series, but I seem not to be able to find it or don’t have access to it. Can anyone of you?

I think the help section is outdated. From what I can see, you click edit on a meetup, then click on the checkbox “Expand all sections”. This probably changes all recurring meetups.

1 Like

hey thuy, martin and gustavo,

what do you think about a meeting to discuss the future of ruby
co-learning, I could make it this week the 25, 26 and 27.th after that i
am off to paris. what do you think???

hi @mamhoff, @kiyu_mars & @netznarkose,

i would love to upate the description of our ruby co-learning meetup on following points:

• putting together our ruby co-learning meetup with the python co-learning meetup (mondays at co.up) leaves how many seats left for people to RSVP?
  • because we never really used the coaches list, i think we can remove it to avoid any confusions, or?
  • is there still a need to bring own power strips?

thank you,
thuy

Hey @inthuytion!

It turns out we’re in the third floor at co-up, while the Python group is on floor five. In theory, we could host quite a few more people!

Yes, :+1: for removing the coaches list.

No, Co-Up has plenty of power!

See you tomorrow!

Martin