RustBridge Workshop, Sept 18th, Berlin (together with RustFest)

We are very happy to announce the organisation of the very first RustBridge here in Berlin: a hands-on workshop to learn Rust. As part of RustFest taking place that weekend, the OpenTechSchool Berlin is organising a beta-run of a beginners workshop to learn Rust on Sunday, September 18th, 2016 at Co-Up. For free, for everyone.

What is Rust?

Rust is a new, safe systems programming language developed primarily by Mozilla. Systems programming? You might have heard of C/C++ as languages to built low-level and super fast programs with. Rust plays in the same league but as a very young language is from the ground up designed to deal with concurrent multi-processing environments (like multi-core CPUs). Further more it provides new mechanism to improve “safety” of your programs memory, the primary reason why C/C++ are considered hard and that high level languages like Python, Ruby and Javascript handle for you with a high performance penalty.

Or to say it with the claim from rust-lang.org:

Rust is a systems programming language that runs blazingly fast, prevents segfaults, and guarantees thread safety.

What is RustFest?

Is the first conference dedicated to the Rust programming language in Europe. This community organised conferences will bring Rustaceans from all over Europe to Berlin on September 17th and 18th. Rustaceans is the self-given name of the people of the rust community – and while we are on it: their unofficial mascot is Ferris, the crab :crab:.

You can learn more about RustFest (and get tickets) on RustFest.eu.

Will I need a RustFest Ticket to attend this Workshop?

No. The only request we have is that you indicate your coming in the vote below (you might have to create an account on this forum), but this workshop is free for anyone to attend.

What is RustBridge?

In the traditions of RailsBridge, RustBridge is a community initiative to develop a workshop to teach absolute beginners about programming using Rust. This will be its very first trial workshop. Therefore the material might be a little rough and not super polished yet: feedback is very welcome!

We are currently aiming for two distinct workshops to work through on your own. While one aims to be suitable for beginners the other is already a bit more challenging and will bring you deeper into more advanced rust topics. Though the format eventually aims to be suitable for total beginners, for this edition we require that you have some essential programming experience. It’s still a beta!

Requirements

For the beginner material you should have participated in a RailsGirls, OpenTechSchool or similar weekend workshop prior to this workshop. If you are unsure: if you know what a function is, a loop does and have a proper editor setup for development (Atom, Sublime Text or alike), then you are good.

Then the only thing left, is to install Rust prior to the workshop!

• Minimal Coding Experience (see above)
  • Laptop with:

Details

CHANGED

Sunday, September 18th 2016
from 11am
ThoughtWorks Werkstatt, MĂĽlhauser Str. 6, 10405 Berlin

In order to participate, please login (or sign up) to this forum and click the appropriate option below: Please indicate whether you have prior programming experience or are a fairly beginner (see above).

You can still change your vote (hence the “won’t come after all”) until September 16th, please do so if applicable!

Further more, we highly recommend to set the notifications for this topic to “watching” to get emailed about updates.

• I want to join (fairly beginner)
  • I want to join (prior coding experience)
  • I’ll coach
  • I won’t make it after all
0 voters

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them here or email me directly at ben@rustfest.eu.

1 Like

Sorry, everyone. It appears there was a problem with Discourse plugins leading to the sign up form above to not work properly.

Please try again now – and let me/us know if you have any other problems. Sorry about that!

Location Details Changed

The event will take place at:

Sunday, September 18th 2016
from 11am
ThoughtWorks Werkstatt MĂĽlhauser Str. 6, 10405 Berlin

This topic was automatically closed after 24 days. New replies are no longer allowed.