OpenTechSchool Claim and Copy Strategy

I would like to do a workshop on our copy writing like our claim and general wording and information on our web page and other communication means.

Expected outcome:

• Updated or confirmed claim (currently “Tech Education how it is supposed to be: Hands-on, empowering, peer-driven.”)
  • Updated or confirmed abstract of what OpenTechSchool is (check http://www.opentechschool.org/)
  • Optionally, some guidelines how to write for OpenTechSchool communications, like, what words to use, what to focus on…

The workshop can just be collaborating virtually in this thread but also personal meetings or video chats, let’s see. I will just start here with a wiki post.

Please edit this post to contribute or reply with comments. Add * to vote or help clustering.

We want to express

• what we are
  • what we do
  • how we do it
  • how this is unique
  • (why we do this)

Keywords, that express this (can be clustered)

• Community *
  • Education
  • Learning *
  • Technology
  • Tech *
  • Hands-on
  • Empowering
  • Peer-driven
  • Distributed
  • Welcoming
  • Inclusive
  • Accessible
  • For everyone *
  • Movement
  • Initiative
  • Free
  • Workshops
  • Events
  • Knowledge
  • Sharing *
  • Open
  • Friendly
  • Umbrella
  • Framework

Claim ideas

• Tech Education how it is supposed to be: Hands-on, empowering, peer-driven. (current)
  • Community-driven tech education for everyone
  • A community of learners

Also check out http://www.opentechschool.org/about.html

Why did I come up with this?

I don’t think the current claim reflects enough of us. It could be a for-profit bootcamp for instance. Also I feel we moved a bit from originally being an initiative running workshops to be community with quite a spectrum of events and communications.

The outcome I’m hoping for would also be a good foundation for the update of the website we’re planning to do.

About the abstract: Just found out that we have that one on the page

Hi, we are OpenTechSchool, a distributed community initiative organising welcoming and inclusive code learning happenings with real people in the real world. Our offers are for technology enthusiasts of all ages, genders, backgrounds, and experience levels. On top, we invite anyone to become an organiser themselves, set up their own local chapter and join our community of coaches everywhere in creating original teaching material under the open Creative Commons Licence.

but this other one (probably a former version) in the meta description being used for search engines and social sharing

OpenTechSchool is a community initiative to
provide programming and other tech-related workshops to women and their
friends of all genders. We take care of the organizational side of things
(venues, press, finding participants) and let our volunteer coaches to create
the curriculum according to their vision. Our main goal is to create a
friendly and safe learning environment where no one feels shy about asking any
question. Everyone, no matter what their gender, skill level or experience, is
invited to participate, whether as a coach or a learner

In a different context I just had to explain OpenTechSchool. Here’s what I came up with:

We are a community with multiple chapters in many different countries that organizes all kinds of events around learning technology, mostly learning how to code, how to build apps and websites, how to collaborate with others… We provide a framework for local meetings open to everyone e.g. with guidelines, infrastructure, and learning materials. We also like to partner with other initiatives.