Call for help: OTS 5 years party

Hi everybody, this year we do 5 years of OTS and we are planning to celebrate it with all of you as you were so fundamental to make OpenTechSchool what it is now.

The idea is to organise a party in the middle of April.

There could be formal introductions and then, as we mostly want to enjoy our time, we could give space to talk to all the people that are part of OTS.

But we are still open in figuring out what to do after the more formal part.
I think It would be great to do some interesting activities together that involve the OTS history, contributions or community stories. Stuff like demo, personal stories, OTS pitches are what i mostly had in mind.

It would also be great to share this achievement with other chapters so i would like to know if someone would be happy and available for some short video call or even live streaming.

What do you think?

@TeamAustralia @TeamBerlin @TeamBrussels @TeamDortmund @TeamRomagna @TeamZurich @TeamHamburg @TeamMilan @FoundationBoard

The location we had in mind is not available, so please if someone has a location suitable for the event in mind, write here or contact me directly.

What are the requirements for the location?

Just to clarify: This is sort of a relaxed, large Community Call with beers? :slight_smile: It’s always a little hard if there’s a large group of people somewhere and you’re the only person dialing in.

I’d love if we could get Ben or Amélie talk a little about the beginnings. There’s lots of photographic coverage in Drive if we want some kind of image backdrop during the event, too.

(Personally, I’m in Berlin the first week of April, right after Easter.)

1 Like

Not so much, we probably need a space where we can do some talks/presentation (so projector, enough space, chairs/confy seats for people) but after that we would like to make it as more unformal “party” so cozy spaces for chat, drinks/snacks and some musics.
We would avoid strictly office spaces since probably people can enjoy/relax more in a non-working enviroment. But this is just our assumption.

Do you have something in mind?

This is a way to celebrate all what we achieve in these past 5 years and to publicly thanks all the volunteers that have contribute to OTS in these years.

It’s always a little hard if there’s a large group of people somewhere and you’re the only person dialing in.
Very good point!

First, i would say i’m not the only one behind this idea :slight_smile: Others in team Berlin have come up with this idea with me :slight_smile:
But still, we are pretty few people and we have no clear idea if most of the others in the community would be happy or interested at all to come by.
That’s also the reason why i have done this post, to see how much interested there is.
If you have any suggestion on how to understand it better or how to organise this more properly, please let me know.
@xMartin @mamhoff @bastianalbers @Ella please share your thoughts too :wink:

I’d love if we could get Ben or Amélie talk a little about the beginnings. There’s lots of photographic coverage in Drive if we want some kind of image backdrop during the event, too.

Ben/Amelie where not the only people there right from the beginning so i’m sure others (me? :slight_smile: Stefan, Duana, …) can also help with that
Anyway i completely agree that they are both a foundamental part of OTS and have done soooo much!
I already quickly contact Ben but i wanted to officially ask to others (Amelie/Stefan/You/etc, etc… ) that have done the history of OTS, if they can come and present something.
But before i need to understand if all this idea make sense :wink:

(Personally, I’m in Berlin the first week of April, right after Easter.)

The idea was to do it exactly after Easter holiday so we know people are back in town.
Do you come often in Berlin?

1 Like

Nothing that fits your description unfortunately. Something that’s both casual AND suitable for presentations and conference calls is hard to find

do you think that a bar big enough for presentation could work?
i have couple in mind but i’m not entirly sure about the bar choise

Did someone try already the Mozilla office?

@starkcoffee not yet but it was on the list. i never have seen, they told me is cozy but kind of small. Have you been there? would you think is good for an unformal party?

Maybe we should just wait untill May and dp something outside? :smiley:

I don’t know, distant participation does not seem very attractive to me…

But couldn’t it be a chance to get people from the other teams to get together and know each other?

Australia is a bit far away… but many of the other teams are not that far away from Berlin.

For me personally, the second half of April is not the best time the year… but the first half could be ok…
As an example, April 7 would be perfect : - )

Hi All,

I haven’t been involved in the past few years, but I would LOVE to see this reunion happen.

To make it happen, we need

• a location
  • a date
  • event description
  • ideas on how to include people outside Berlin

Maybe people could volunteer to take on each of those tasks?

may might now be a better goal for a date…

… i would love to have a good reason for spending a weekend in berlin : - )

Hey @bettina, love to hear from you :smiley:

Tbh right now my main concern is to understand how many people would be actually interested to come by and celebrate with us.
We could easily find a place (we have some in mind already… we are in contact with two of them to understand if is possible, but if there are more ideas, please share!) and a date.
But before invest a lot of time in this organization, i would love to understand if there is a real interest in this event.

Ideal Data: Sometime in May. At this point we thought we can wait for the nice weather so we can enjoy outside and maybe do a bbq.

I would also really like to understand if people prefer to celebrate in a co-working-community style space or rather prefer to do in a more informal bar

FYI We had an interesting conversation about hosting the party at Spektrum Berlin
on May 24th

We have a date and a place:
6th of July
at Spektrum (near Schönleinstrasse u8)

More information coming soon but feel free to save the date :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, is the date 100% confirmed?

I plan to buy the train tickets tomorrow and then look for a place for the nights…

Yesss!! 110% confirm :slight_smile:
and also other very interesting things there are confirmed :wink: