Laptops

We should combine the base image with configuration management. Otherwise updating any of our wanted software (looking at you node!) will be a pain. I propose ansible because it has a low entrance barrier.
I also will volunteer to do that.

If you’re going down that road, I just had an interesting call with Schlomo Schapiro (from ImmobilienScout24.) He’s looking into provisioning machines with a Guest-only Ubuntu for school deployments.

I’m happy to introduce you when you start working on this. :slight_smile:

Heya, what’s the current state of the laptops? Are they still at co-up? How many? And in which state of installation are they? :slight_smile:

I am asking because ClojureBridge would like to borrow a few of our laptops for their workshop on the 18th of June. I volunteered to coordinate this loan, who/how should I approach for this?

Some (like 9) are in the lockers at co.up. No operating system at all. I’m happy to be the go-to person for that for now.

1 Like

#002 okay I have like you installed a fresh Ubuntu 16.04 on one Laptop.

For organize it, I would recommend to keep the OS partition small and have an other one to keep additional stuff like OTS offline Learning Materials and Software like nodejs.
For that i just mounted a extra partition on /opt
so we can think how we like to put it on. Some we can clone others we just copy.

So if I am in coup i will just switch to the next one.
important we would use user logins and passwords uniform. Where can I write that Information? is just now on the Laptop

Thanks @itbs!

On the laptop is fine for now I’d say. Please also note the ideas here: Standard software for an OTS machine

Update for everyone: so far the previous attempts to manage the software on our laptops haven’t really lead to results. @itbs was to kind to help with installing an operating system on some of them. So a streamlined approach is still pending but we’re now having the first few laptops available with an ubuntu on it that can be used.

#003 is installed. Yes i used the Softwarelists to make the first setup but leave out for now big parts like Java or because actually like by nodejs .
There we need to think how is the best practice. For that i think we install it on demand in /opt this should be on all Laptops a separate partition, where we can also organize OfflineMaterials (accesseable for all Users on the Laptop).
For first user setup I have used two User as “learner” in english ,a StudentIn “deutsch” and an Adminaccount OpenTechScholl as “otsadmin”.

Also I prefer / agree @robert to see how it was organized in the Lernstick.

1 Like

@nicolai @ben @xMartin oder wer auch immer mit helfen möchte.

Ich habe ein von den Dell Laptops vor mir mit bereits ein Ubuntu installiert.
Aber es nützt nichts wenn das Passwort unbekannt ist.
Das bisher einzig praktikabelste Vorgehensweise ist
learner und otsAdmin Passwörter mit auf den Laptop zu schreiben auch das posten hier wird wenig bringen.
Im Grunde sehe ich es fast als angebracht immer ein Login mit root ohne passwort zu konfigurieren.
Aber besser praxis wäre in ein Wiki zu notieren.
Ich habe bemerkt das ein eingerichetes LVM für mich bedeuten würde sich zusätzlich Werkzeuge bereitzuhalten als nur ein LiveKnoppix oder andere Standard LiveDistros.

Ich dachte weiter so installieren zu wollen aber gern würde ich auch ein shellscript erstellen welches einige etc Datein auf die Homepartition kopiert um beim erstellen von PartitionImages einige grundlegende Einstellungen für das Rootsystem mit zu kopieren.

Vielleicht kann mir jemand zeigen wohin ich auf opentechschool.org dokumentiere.

1 Like

Empty password for normal user sounds good to me.

I’d start the documentation here in discourse. We can make it a wiki topic.

at our university we had a telnet worm that infected a lego mindstorms because it had root access without password

setting an easy default password should protect from such viruses

I would like the password

“opentechschool”

also, default log-in can be enabled, so that most users will not even use the password.

Is there a way I could pick up one of these laptops? Or maybe two and keep them for two weeks or three? I should be able to create an easily maintainable ansible playbook to install all these things in this time and then we would not only have them all installed but also had a rather easy and consistent way of updating them.

Yes, sure! There should be at least two empty (no operating system installed) laptops in the lockers at co.up. As fas as I understood @itbs put stickers on all the laptops that have something installed so find the naked ones.

I picked up two laptops without the sticker in one backpack. So there is an empty backpack in the lockers, not that anyone worries about it.

I’ll start with the installation tonight, create a ansible playbook for all the software/configuration/updates and put that on github at as soon as it is somewhat presentable.
https://github.com/vonneudeck/ots-laptop-setup
When it is good, we might put it on the ots-github to assure it does not get lost.

Considering passwords I’ll will not deactivate them but use something obvious and stick it on the laptop.

Regarding any wishes on what should be on the software—as xMartin mentioned—post here:
Standard software for an OTS machine

For Jugend Hackt we plan to set up a https://snipeitapp.com/ at okfn or somewhere else to keep track of what hardware is where. Maybe this is also useful for OTS, maybe one can join. I will keep you updated when we go further with it. This is just a start of a discussion about this. Maybe an extra thread would be good.

@niccokunzmann Cool! That might really be interesting. We could start with a simple online spreadsheet but definitely keep us updated on that.

The hardware-system is set up. After Jugend Hackt, (they are quite busy right now) I will ask again about inviting other organizations.

That “simple online spreadsheet” already exists: Berlin resources » Assets.

Hi,

at the 29.11, there will be a Workshop in the Zentrale Landesbibliothek to introduce them to Arduino and Raspberry Pi. The intention is to make them ready to lend hardware and have a representative case to support the maker movement.

Is it possible to use the laptops at this day? Shoud I contact somebody else?

Greetings,
Nicco

How many do you need? Any requirements for the installed software?

Hey,

there will be need for about 6 laptops. The only requirement is that the arduino IDE works on these laptops. It does not need to be installed, we can do this ourselves.

Thanks in advance,
Fabian