SQL workshop re-run

Yes, I will bring the co-up key.

New coach named Moritz can also coach, and I invited him to join the discourse thread.

soā€¦ here I am! :smile:

I realized that I forgot to ask the coaches to come an hour earlier to get set up and go over the Coaches guidelinesā€¦and then I realized I donā€™t have all the coachesā€™ emails!

@haiko @ellen @ulrike @zormit are all on Discourse, but what about
@inka and @matthias ?

Also, I will send out a reminder email to the learners and the coaches a few days before the event, so @ellen do you want to email me their email addresses?

Enjoy your long weekends!

Hello! I can also help out as a coach. Haiko knows me from Hackership.

Hi @stefanwille ā€“ very cool! Have you coached before? If you havenā€™t, please take a look at our coaching guidelines: http://opentechschool.github.io/slides/presentations/coaching/

@bastianalbers can also coach so now we have 8 coaches, so it will be a really good coach / learner ratio :heart_eyes:

Hi Bettina, thanks for the material. Yes, I have coached for OTS, Hackership and RailsGirls.

1 Like

Hey @bettina,

Can we accept more people from the wait list? I can send you Inka and Matthiasā€™ e-mails. Do we really need an hour for coaching guidelines? Most of us have already coached the same workshop beforeā€¦,

Hi @ellen

Good point! Iā€™ll see what our capacity limit is for the workshop before I accept more people from the waitlist. Iā€™ll be in touch on Discourse once Aleks lets me know.

Youā€™re right, if the coaches have already coached with OTS, thereā€™s no need to go over the coaching guidelines. Thatā€™s why I wanted to contact all the coaches via email and ask if I should organize a coachesā€™ training, since I wasnā€™t sure whoā€™s coached for OTS before or not :slight_smile:

So Aleks said that weā€™re on the 3rd floor with a max capacity of 40. So now I accepted 38 learners so that we a 20% no-show rate, we get 31 learners + 8 coaches = 39 people.

So @stefanwille @bastianalbers @haiko @ellen @ulrike @zormit ā€“ As coaches, are you comfortable with the coaching guidelines?

Even if youā€™ve coached before, I want to be explicit that you feel prepared to coach hands-on learning. If you want to role play or trade tips with other coaches on how to explain a specific topic or need other coaching training, I want to make sure that you get what you need.

I will email Inka and Matthias separately to ask them the same.

Looking forward to it!

By now I am familiar and fine with the guidelines, but not yet the Tutorial itself (i.e. I donā€™t know the structure & what exactly happens by heartā€¦). I will prepare that close to the workshop. Looking forward to it!

I just went over the coaching guidelines again, all fine :smiley:

(Administrative note: I have split this discussion from New OTS tutorial online: SQL for beginners to not pollute the Learning essentials forum.)

Hi @stefanwille @bastianalbers @haiko @ellen @ulrike @zormit,

Any of you want to do the intro speech on Saturday?

I was going to prepare a learnersā€™ guidelines but am only meeting Duana Saturday morning to go over my rough draft, so I donā€™t think itā€™ll be ready yet.

I will send out a reminder email to the learners tonight via Meetup.

So looking forward to seeing you all at co.up 3rd floor on Saturday at 12:30!

Hi @bettina, I would be happy to do the intro speech :smile:

At what time are we going to meet tomorrow? 12:00?

Another question regarding Who was the string puller? - Data quality and aggregation functions, question 30:

One possible way to to this is to represent tables by a list of their columns and to draw a line for every primary key-foreign key relationship. Ask a coach for details.

What kind of details are we supposed to give? Any guidelines on that? Why not simply include a sample diagram in the material? (keyboards in general are made of lava for me at the moment, I should not touch them)

Half an hour before the event is usually enough - i donā€™t think we need to change much in the room setup. BTW the co.up calendar says 3rd floor, which is actually better suited iā€™d sayā€¦

And Ellen has keys, right? Martin has the co.learning set and i could get them but would prefer if i donā€™t have to.