The Big "Hello This Is Me" Thread

Hi Hackers,

I am Thomas Mboa from Cameroon.I have a backroung in Biochemistry, sciences of education and now I am doing my PhD in Information and communication and my thesis is on the Maker Movement in Africa. It is my first time to join the Science Hack day, and I am very excited to be these since it is the place where the Hacker Ethics has be framed. I don’t have any techskills, but more theoretical knowledge about Molecular Biology. The only thing I know and I advocate for, is that the maker movement and particularly Biohaking if used in the logic of Common Good, can be a good way to bring sustainable development in Africa. This is some link about what I wrote on : https://fr.slideshare.net/ThomasHervMboaNkoudo/biohacking-in-africa-a-tool-for-justice-empowerment-and-development
http://revista.ibict.br/liinc/article/view/3774
http://www.makery.info/en/2017/06/29/lafrique-a-lassaut-du-biohacking-pour-la-sante/

Club Mate

7 Likes

I am Arne Jenssen from Norway. This is the 3rd time i will participate in Science Hackday Berlin.

• MSc in Quantum Physics,
  • Phd in numerical methods in acoustics.
  • I’ve worked 10 years in research and last 7 years as independent full-stack software developer.

Skills

• programming, full-stack web development with java-script, python, database
  • machine learning
  • physics, numerical methods (FEM/BEM,…)
  • Ideation (Top skill from Strengthfinder 2.0)
  • Hackathons
7 Likes

Hi,

I’m Ellen, and this will also be my 3rd science hack day. Yes, I think they are absolutely awesome :slight_smile:
Back in uni I studied a mix of Computer Science, Philosophy, Psychology and Sociology. Nowadays, I work as a data scientist, previously as a web engineer (primarily backend).

So as far as skills go, I can code (in Python, Java, Scala, Clojure, R), do some “big data analytics”, statistics and machine learning, and throw in some random knowledge about how the human mind works alone and in groups.

I love analyzing big datasets, especially about human behavior or social networks. I am toying with the idea of doing some analysis of trust development in social online communities, but I still need to do some research into suitable datasets and metrics for that.

6 Likes

Hi everyone!

I’m Julieta, usually people call me by my nickname, saynomore -or just ‘say’-. This is my first Science Hack Day and also my first time in Berlin, as I’m from and live in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

I got a degree in environmental sciences but just switched fields 2 years ago when I begun my PhD about the open hardware movement in Latin America (the idea is to mix both topics). I’m also part of the Global Open Science Hardware movement and I participate in different hacklabs back at home. I’m a feminist and an advocate for free culture, free technologies, agroecology… In a word, freedom.

So, regarding skills, I can help with biological systems, water chemistry <3, I’m learning some basic python, I play the flute and clarinet, create songs and I love sounds so I can help there too, I used to be a project manager in my previous life so I know how to get things done in time xD, I speak spanish (?)

Regarding interests, I love everything alive, I love hacking toys so they can make music and the hackings that overcome the nature-technology dichotomy. I’m into these things because I believe that democratizing science & technology is deeply political, and I love that, so every hacking that defies power and patriarchy makes my heart beat faster.

Just as @agustinavpalermo said, I’m totally for mate, but the original (so hipster, huh!), so I’ll definetely take it with me.

So anxious to be there and meet you all!

5 Likes

Hello all!
I am Aline, new-media artist who like smart-garments and have this pleasure to open machines to fix it or save the pieces that I want to work with. I like to solve problems and some of my interactive installations also require problem solving. http://alinemartinez.io/
Textile is my main media, but as @Kati “Cardboard, tape, Arduinos, LEDs, motors, resistors, sensors, glitter, electro-trash and textiles are materials I work with.” =)

I am looking forward to hacking together.

6 Likes

Hey @Aline! Cool that you’re also joining in! Nice to see you after a long while! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So nice to see so many old and new faces again… I’m really looking forward to this SHDB17! Just reading this descriptions geta me excited on the cool hacks will come out of all these sciency crazy brains working together ;)!

4 Likes

Hello :) My name is Amer And I'm an student studying Front-End Development in Berlin since 6 Months ago, at a DCI ( Digital Career Institute GmbH ) ( DCI Website ) Because I'm so interested in Change and create a new ways of selling and buying on the internet !! I like Design ! For example " User Interface design " I work on Photoshop and Sketchup.

and I have experience of around 7 years in " Best Selling Skills and Customer Care "
&
I have 3 years experience about electrical repairs (( Laptops - PC Motherboard - Projecters - and so on… .

I know a little bit about VFX videos editors, I brew Beer and I like to Cook :slight_smile:

Also I am looking for someone like ( Buddies ) who can help / teach me to get better in Developing, the (Front End).

Cheers

4 Likes

Hi,

I am Denizay!

I am an industrial design student, writing my master thesis at the moment. I am new here in Berlin, moved one month ago from Estonia and this is my first hackaton.

I worked with arduino and processing before in my projects but I can’t say I am advanced, well enough. I know 3D modelling and 3D printing, laser cutting and using other hand tools. As well as, graphic design. Anyone interested could check my projects, visuals are explaining better than words. www.denizayapusoglu.com

I am interested in optics and sound, so I would love to be in a project that combining science, art and design to create something seemingly magical. I can’t propose an idea now, but I am looking forward to joining you!

And, coffee and club mate! :slight_smile:

Cheers, see u soon

4 Likes

Hello nice to meet you all.
My name is Hiroshi, Japanese audiovisual artist & programmer.

Name : Hiroshi Matoba
Background : Design, Contemporary music, New media art. This is my first SHDB.
Skills : Programming skills(web, mobile, C++, arduino, RPi), audiovisual production, sound design, motion graphics, digital fabrication, CAD, 3D software, … etc
Interests : complex rhythmic phenomena, beautiful structure/pattern in nature
Toy : I’m thinking to bring several digital toys like…

• High speed camera (Sony RX100 mk5, 1000 fps/fullHD movie!!)
  • Tripod
  • Audio IO
  • Dynamic mic
  • Binaural mic

Idea :

• Make music instruments (and Science Hack Band?) with labratory equipments and material
  • Make slow motion movie of some interesing phenomena

Looking forward to meet you and thank you for organizing.

5 Likes

Hey there,

I’m Patrick, I’ve been in Berlin 1 month, and I’m relieved that people speak english here. I’m excited to involve myself in collaborative creative work.

I have labeled myself: Technical Designer. A title, I feel, fairly encompasses my experience in mechanical design and architecture. Personally I am interested in developing ‘Street Architecture’, but I understand the theme of the Hackathon is Science, so I am open to what the scientists have to say.

Though I have never been to a Hackathon, my last degree (Design & Engineering) was similar in nature, so I get the drift of it. Autodesk Inventor 2018 is my go to program. Straight up, I don’t know code, which makes me feel like a dinosaur.

I try to limit myself to one coffee per day at 10am, as the second one gives me the jitters.

www.patrickmallondesign.com

4 Likes

Hi,

I’m Martin, mainly software engineer working on web apps and specifically user interfaces for many years. It’s my first SHD and I’m very excited because I love to work interdisciplinary. I’m also involved with OpenTechSchool as organizer and coach. And I love to make music, travel to switch perspectives, and enjoy nature/sports/biking.

I’m not very scientific so I see myself more as a support to bring ideas to life like displaying results, making things interactive, accessible, interfacing. I can build interactive user interfaces (preferably in JavaScript, HTML, CSS), write software that works with databases or external services or devices (have done Python, PHP, NodeJS, Java, love to try new things).

Club Mate and beer, both not to my advantage :wink:

5 Likes

Hey everyone,

I am Eeva. I was at the Science Hack Day last year as well and it was great fun. I am a media artist, lately done mostly kinetic sculptures that involve bird wings and tails, and I know little bit of electronics and Processing but I am definitely here as an artist :slight_smile:

Then I am also an environmental engineer and worked over 10 years with consulting water companies. I would like to do a project related to a water but haven’t got a great idea so far…

Club Mate, please.

4 Likes

Hi! My name is Robin,

I volunteer at the SHDB2017. Dear lord, my nicknames are probably everything that starts with R-o-b, like Robbedoes, Robster, Robbie, Robster, Robib etc etc. Get creative :wink: if you forget my name don’t worry, scream loud enough and I will react anyway.

So, this is my first SHD ever and I come all the way from Amsterdam to be there because it seems to be the most awesome science-hacking-nerd-awesomepeoplegettogether-event I ever heard of, helll yeah! I just finished my master in geology with a specialization in science communication and I actually received my diploma just yesterday. When I am not hacking I am probably windsurfing, climbing (indoors), licking rocks, looking for a job, reading, playing board games, watching Tedx inspirational movies and dreaming to be on that stage one day, chilling, playing the Ukulele, making some crochet, or bothering my friends with weird questions and activities.

My skills? I can get extremely enthousiastic about new things! I know a lot about rocks and minerals and about how earth functions. I worked with XRay-fluoresence and mass-spectronometers at the university. I can translate between Dutch, Spanish, English and some German. I can offer some tips for designing work(shops) about natural science and offer guiding in facilitating dialogs.

I am interested in… everything ever basically. Let’s talk! And when it comes to science… I am absolutely enthusiastic about open access science, public engagement and the involvement of different parties during the development of new things. Let’s mess up the ways we do science! Rwaaarghwww.

See you tomorrow!

5 Likes

Hello, my name is Tomi!

I am from Finland and currently studying design at Aalto University, Helsinki. I’m aiming my studies towards insdustrial design and UI/UX stuff. I also have a history of musical career, played in a band and made a living out of it for some years etc., and I also run a small studio and have experience in both music producing and sound design(sound for film). I have also worked in IT, 3d-scanning, geological surveying, as a VJ and as event technician. I spend my free time paragliding, riding BMX and making music. Biology (and sciences in general!) has always been close to my heart as I’ve always had burning desire to understand how the world and it’s ecosystems work. I also have a amateur rocketeer license.

ps. black coffee rules.

4 Likes

Hi everyone,

A quick intro from another SHDB Organizer.

I am Aravinth. I have background in Electronics and Electrical engineering with focus on Computer Science, Embedded Systems, Robotics and New Media Art. I have been working with various corporations to startups all around the world as a Maker to build anything from Enterprise software to Embedded hardware systems with the awareness of sustainability.

Apart from my work i spend much time in my lab building things and doing private research on various things.

At the event I will be in charge of machines and workshop along with Alessandro and staffs from TU Berlin. If you need help with 3D printing or Laser Cutting or Foam Cutting, please let us know.

4 Likes

Hi, my name is Zsófi from Hungary.
I moved to Berlin 2 month ago for a wearable tech internship. This is my first SHD.
I call myself a fashion tech designer who is interested in intergrating electronics inside soft materials.

My background is quite unusual. I have always been interested in art but I was aware that fashion is also a business and I knew at some point that I was going to start my own business, so I did my BA degree in economics. After that I founded my own fashion brand in Budapest as a designer. I did this for 4 years and showed my collections at some of the biggest Hungarian fashion events. I realized I would like to develop myself more, so I did my MA degree in fashion design in Moholy Nagy University of Art and Design Budapest (MOME). During that time I specialized in wearable technology, especially integrating electronics into the material.

My skills: drawing, sewing, knitting, embroidering, making patterns for clothes, designing and constructing a garment, Photoshop, 3D modelling, 3D printing, lasercutting, building circuits, working with conductive thread&textile, building haptic interfaces, making soft interfaces, working with sensors like soundsensitive, motionsensitive, building garments which are connecting to each other wireless, making soft materials which can be used for data visualization, I also like excel sheets :slight_smile:

I just finished recently my first interactive knitted garment collection where the electronics were integrated inside the material. I found so much inspiration and challenge in wearable technology, which inspired me to explore more about Human Computer interactions . I think we can experiment more about what kind of new shared experience can be invented. For example between human and human, between humans and computers , or between humans and the outside world using this new smart flexible layer around our body our senses can be expanded and interchanged, evolving the process of perception.

3 Likes

Hi everybody!

My name is Artiom.
I am a PhD student from Lithuania, and currently I am doing my research project at HZB in the field of solar energy.
My background is in Organic Chemistry, and in Material Science as a general.
I have never participated in the Hack Day, so I am very exited about this new experience.
My interests and knowledge are in the field of natural science. Mostly I am interested in all kinds of luminescence, chromisms and similar phenomena. Quite some time ago used to study musical theory, and piano performance. Time have passed, but some of the skills remained :slight_smile: Photoshop skills.

See you all soon!

3 Likes

Hi,
My name is Saule. I am product designer from Lithuania.
That will be my first hack and I am very exited to be part of SHDB17 and share my skills.
This summer I finished my master degree in design. My skills are: Solidworks, Fusion360, and Photoshop. I have experience with 3D printing technology. Now I improving my sketching technique and couple of weeks before I had workshop with CNC milling.
I love these tools and the proces of design, create something out of nothing.
See you soon!

2 Likes

Hello

I am Richard.

I am currently a freelance data scientist in Berlin.

Before that I was a cognitive neuroscientist and psychologist in The Netherlands. So, come to me for all things, mind, brain, and Dutch. My PhD was on how the brain understands music and language. If you find this interesting, chat me up!

I love data science. My tools of choice are R and python (and sometimes Matlab if anyone still knows it).

I have personally never been at a hack day, so I am super curious to see what it actually is.

See you all in an hour!

PS: Mate, whether as a Berlin style soft drink or an Argentina style brew

3 Likes