There will be any workshop/training about the Ruby?

I think it’s not so much a bug as unexpected behaviour (repeat this event every monday from 5th of Jan - “alright, i’ll create a new event on the 5th of jan PLUS the event you already had”). I can’t really delete the event at this point, but I only allowed the current number of participants (5) and closed the waitinglist plus added a comment referring to the main event.

@inthuytion About the notifications: I also got about a million for just Nynne registering. I think she might have clicked many, many times. I guess this should sort of solve it.

It’s cool to see everything is going well. Can’t wait for the first meetup on the 5th.

Do we have a specific talk or exercise planned for the meetup? Anything I should prepare?

I will be there on the 5th, but still don’t have a key for the Fairmondo office. I will get one or borrow on that day.

I thought about giving a short talk in the future about the sort of things I wish I had known when first trying to learn rails and web dev. Here’s a draft in both .odp and .pptx. (look at the notes) had_i_known.odp (14.7 KB) had_i_known.pptx (30.1 KB)

Please tell me if this would be in the spirit of the meetup. It’s more relevant for those first starting out, and it isn’t a technical exercise or lecture, so I’m not sure if it should be an opening talk.

Happy new year’s to everyone!

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

happy new year! Sorry for being a bit busy the last weeks.

First, as far as I can see we have now about 20 people on the waiting list in the 2 Ruby Co-Learning meetup events, this means 100% percent of available seats, so the question is would it be possible to expand the seats to 30-40 seats finally? This would be awesome! What do you think?

Second, I am currently not sure about the talks because we have not really planned it yet (since it always sounded easy going), nevertheless we should think about & organize following asap:

a) key organization (will be done by @kiyu_mars - thank you! :smile: )
b) preparing beamer and all technical stuff, e.g. power strip (who can do this and when? @kiyu_mars? )
c) if we offer talks at our first meetup, we should announce it in the meetup directly and asap, so people have enough time to prepare and suggest their ideas
d) time schedule suggestions: 7pm start/22.00pm end (for the team: 6:30pm start / 22:30pm end?)
e) short welcome talk (content: a) what is the co-learning concept about b) invitation to introduce themselves, so people with same issues/subjects can sit together and learn the same stuff c) time schedule) => who wants to do this? @netznarkose and @inthuytion ?)

What do you think?

Have a nice evening,
Thuy

Think well about this; there’s a chance people might be a bit frustrated if there’s not enough experienced rubyists around. Maybe rather start small and expant subsequent times when you see there’s room.

b) preparing beamer and all technical stuff, e.g. power strip (who can do this and when? @kiyu_mars? )

Might be a good idea to announce “please bring a power strip” on the meetup page. You can all do this as co-organizers.

About talks: I wouldn’t do more than one per session, or at most two. I like Philip’s talk idea; and I think the whole “what is this co-learning thing” could be quite neatly tucked along to that. @kiyu_mars I’m sure it wouldn’t take you long to add that, would it?

About keys: @kiyu_mars I still have a set of fairmondo keys that I could leave to you. Are you in town already? Can we meet one of these days?

Happy new year!

Hello there, hope everyone had time to party on new years.

I’ll set up the beamer, and I’ll bring some extra power strips just in case there aren’t that many in the Fairmondo office.

Regarding expanding the seats: If we are only using one conference room and no one can sit anywhere else in the office (like the couch area opposite of the conference rooms), I don’t think we can hold more than 25 people. Is there a way around this, or did I miss something @mamhoff ?

I like the idea of inviting the attendees to proclaim their interests/issues are so that others can group themselves accordingly. They can also suggest topics for talks that we can prepare for the following meetups. I’d try to avoid introduction rounds of the attendees because these suck up a lot of time and produce little value.

I like Philip’s talk idea; and I think the whole “what is this co-learning thing” could be quite neatly tucked along to that. @kiyu_mars I’m sure it wouldn’t take you long to add that, would it?

Yeah no problem, it fits quite nicely, I’ll include it.

About keys: @kiyu_mars I still have a set of fairmondo keys that I could leave to you. Are you in town already? Can we meet one of these days?

No, I arrive on Sunday. Can you leave it with someone like Paul?

Might be a good idea to announce “please bring a power strip” on the meetup page. You can all do this as co-organizers.

I changed the text on the meetup page, and also announced the talk in the comments.

mamhof wrote:

Think well about this; there’s a chance people might be a bit frustrated
if there’s not enough experienced rubyists around. Maybe rather start
small and expant subsequent times when you see there’s room.

Alright, I do agree to keep the space small for the purpose of a better learning environment in the beginning. But when it comes to the reason of “not enough experienced Rubyists” I am not sure about it, if I have understood it right. Because until now we have not made any calls to experienced Rubyists to measure the relation between experienced and beginners through the attendees list, right?

mamhof wrote:

I wanted to put a note, but just read that @kiyu_mars wants to do it now. Thank you!

mamhof wrote:
I like Philip’s talk idea; and I think the whole “what is this co-learning thing” could be quite neatly tucked along to that. @kiyu_mars I’m sure it wouldn’t take you long to add that, would it?

kiyu_mars wrote:
Yeah no problem, it fits quite nicely, I’ll include it.

Great! Thx.

kiyu_mars wrote:
I’d try to avoid introduction rounds of the attendees because these suck up a lot of time and produce little value.

Yes, you are right. Maybe just invite people to announce their issues and subjects, if they want, would be enough.

@mamhoff @kiyu_mars @netznarkose

as you all might have seen we have now the situation that some (experienced) Rubyists, who only want to help out, are asking for free seats now.

Sara Regan wrote:
Is there a way for people on the list who are coming to help out and are not looking to learn to change their RSVP somehow? I see a some on the list, and know they are coming to help, or learn more about helping :slight_smile:

How do we want to handle this?

P.S. @kiyu_mars Have you already left the note about the power strip somewhere? I could not find it yet.

@kiyu_mars Aww, I just found it somewhere in the description. I guess it would be better to leave a separate comment to make sure everyone has received this info later? Not sure, if people have read the description again.

How do we want to handle this [free seats for coaches]?

I looked up how Ben handles it for other OTS meetups. One way is for coaches to sign up on a separate discourse thread (just announce they are coming, anyway), and learners to sign up on the meetup page. We would post the discourse link for coaches on the meetup page.

( @mamhoff since you won’t be able to attend the first meetups, could you change your RSVP to no? )

I’ll also post a comment on bringing snacks and power strips.

I looked up how Ben handles it for other OTS meetups. One way is for
coaches to sign up on a separate discourse thread (just announce they
are coming, anyway), and learners to sign up on the meetup page. We
would post the discourse link for coaches on the meetup page.

Yes, that would be great because through this we would make sure there are enough “experienced Rubyists” as @mamhoff has mentioned before. Let me know if I should start a new discourse thread (in case you can’t/don’t want).

I’ll also post a comment on bringing snacks and power strips.

Thanks.

Things I hadn’t considered:

How do I know who the experienced rubyists are? I only know now that we event-hosts can take our names off the list, but who are the ones “just coming to help” that Sara mentions?

If I create a new thread under the category “Organising” and "Events, do I have to manually invite users, or can anyone see the thread?

And what if some of the coaches are not on discourse? Do we require them to sign up and then post their names? Or is it enough to create a comment on meetup and let the coaches comment with their name (and take themselves off the learner list)?

How do I know who the experienced rubyists are? I only know now that we
event-hosts can take our names off the list, but who are the ones “just
coming to help” that Sara mentions?

Good point, that’s why we should a call for people who want to help out on the meetup event.

If I create a new thread under the category “Organising” and "Events, do
I have to manually invite users, or can anyone see the thread?

Where do you mean? Here at discourse or at meetup? I am new to discourse platform, so I can not give you the proper reply, but if we link the thread on meetup, people can join with their twitter handle, or? As I can see a lot of people have already a twitter handle. Maybe offering two options: directly on discourse and on meetup in the comments section?

I created a discourse thread, posted a comment on meetup, and changed the meetup description. I’ll take people off the meetup attendee list if there are replies.

1 Like

Hey everyone,

I just took myself off the attendee lists and I’m actively arranging for the keys to get to to @kiyu_mars.

Hello There,

I am back to berlin and I look forward to our first meeting.
Thanks for your efforts to handle the recent organizational stuff, If there is something I can do, let me know. according to the prior discussion I wanted to
ask following things:
a) do we surely know that the ratio between "learners and “coaches” is that bad in the first meeting? In this case I could ask two friends of mine to support us on the teachers side.
b) the announcement of the topic “What I wish I had known when I started learning web development” [which I like] is meant to be like an open call, so everybody is asked to present something, right? we do not choose between suggestions. If so, I would like to invite a guy whose blogpost I found on the Internet the other day. I have no Idea if he is still in Berlin but it covers some of my beginner-questions and it fits the subject quite well.

I think things are actually quite well-prepared :slight_smile: I’ve asked Andi (Fairmondo) to come as well, and if everybody brings one or two people they know who at least know basics, you should be fine.

I would just like to add that this is only the first of a long series of meetings, and whatever goes wrong or can be improved can (and will) already be improved a week later. I think this is on an excellent path. :smile:

1 Like

@kiyu_mars Paul has the keys!

1 Like

I will be at 6 pm at fairmondo for the set-up, I’ll bring some
cracker and sweets.

max

1 Like

@mamhoff
Just fyi, everything seemed to go very well last night. A lot of the same people have signed up for the next ruby meetups. One thing I would prepare for the next meetups are beginners exercises, because a lot of people are so new to programming that they are not sure what type of project to do during the meetup.

2 Likes